Tuesday, June 21, 2005

'Something Is Coming Together'

I'll make the disclaimer to this one quick. Anti-war leftist activism has nothing to do, per se, with anti-Americanism or any other form of moral idiocy. Per se. But in the wake of Dick Durbin's risible non-apology today for his likening of US detention policy to the killing fields of Pol Pot, it becomes just a tiny, tiny bit easier every day to shirk the distinction. Leave it to The Nation's editor-in-chief and resident bag of hammers to do the aligning for us.

In a profoundly moving blog post today, Katrina "I Willingly Dress like Susan Sontag" van den Heuvel joyfully relates this anecdote concerning a message from a fellow anti-warrior:

'Just ten days earlier he told me that he was more depressed about our politics than at anytime in the last 40 years. "Hello, this is..." he said. "I was in Washington yesterday at the rally and at the Conyers hearings. And since I laid a heavy statement on you last week, I just wanted to make a correction. It's finally over. My despair is over. Something has happened these last ten days that has revived the antiwar issue. It has to do with public opinion polls and casualties and Republicans like Walter Jones and more Democrats standing up. I won't say how optimistic I am. But something is coming together--you can feel it." '

"...[P]ublic opinion polls and casualties and..." The gentleman ought to be thanked not to say how optimistic he is. Chaos, bloodshed, agony, dread, and raw, cosmic evil plunging at the very heart of human dignity and hope and progress. Sweet relief.

2 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger 357martini said...

Nice blog, I enjoy hearing others who seem to sense that which I feel i.e.: the leaders of our free nations are asleep at the wheel....or worse yet driving us into a wall for the betterment of their pocketbooks.

spookyoptics

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Jon said...

I'm not sure if this is an attempt at sarcasm, but in any case I think it misses the point of the post.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home